Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Camping Meals

When I first mentioned this camping idea to hubby, he hated it. Not that he does not like camping, he just hates the packing, loading, unloading, packing, loading... and so on. And he seems to have the greatest aversion to packing all the cooking supplies: stove, pots, pans, propane, grill, food, cooler full of food, box of snacks, and so on.... Working through the communication barrier I came to realize that his idea of camping is easy food: beef jerky, chips, soda, and fast food when we are on the road. I know that is NOT going to work for me.

So the question is: how do I convince hubby that cooking meals outdoors can be a big part of the adventure? Some people choose vacation places just for the food. We can eat gourmet over campfire and it can be FUN!

A few years back I came up with a system that helped make camping meals a lot easier. Here it is:

Before any thing is to be done I make a list of meals that the family likes. Next I take each meal and write it out into three lists. First list: items that are in a can, jar, or box, spices, and condiments that I take from home. Second list: items that will not keep that I will need to purchase at a grocery store prior to cooking such as dairy, fresh meat, produce, and breads. Third list is made up of what camping equipment will be needed to make it; will I need one pot or two, a cutting board, or special items like a colander or grater? And do not forget a can opener.

On a yellow 5x7 paper I write out each meal. What the meal is goes at the top and the way to cook it in corner, like: camp stove, fire/coals, grill, or even dutch oven. If you need a recipe then up can copy it and paperclip it to the list. Then the list is sectioned off with three sections: what I bring in the food box, what I will purchase on the trip (this becomes my shopping list during the vacation and simplifies that headache), and what equipment I need at the bottom. This last list was added after I forgot a few items. It also should make it easier to not bring what I do not need. Hubby will love that.

Example:

Camp stove
If something uses extra water such as pasta or 'boil in a bag' rice I would note it up here. (not a good choice for a campground where you have to pack in your own water.)

Beef Stew

(items to bring in food box/cooler)
1 can corn
olive oil
salad dressing (for optional salad)
spices:
bullion
salt and pepper
minced onions

(items to purchase on road)
stew meat
potatoes
carrots
celery
onions
baguette/or soup bowl
mixed salad (optional)
(no need to buy if I have it left over from the night before)

(equipment to bring)
large pot with lid
cutting board
knife
can opener
utinsels: ladle, large spoon
(I do not put camp stove in this list since it gets redundant)

There it is. Takes a little time to begin with but simplifies things on the road so you can spend more time at that beautiful waterfall. Note to self: when I get back from camping put list in recipe file binder so I do not have to remake them. I thought I saved the previous ones but they are not where I have looked.

It was good today... 22 meals planned out. Now I have to figure out which ones we want and which days to cook them. Some campgrounds do not have fire pits so tin foil dinners wont work there. And somethings take more time to prepare so those need to go on a lazier day when we are "hanging" at the campsite. I do need to figure out a few more lunch ideas.... hmm.

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to simplify all that information! We usually camp at the Mavy family campsite which has cupboards that stay up year round, so I never have to bring pots, utensils, etc. We planned to go camping on our own this summer, and honestly I'm intimidated by the thought of trying to remember the 47 random things I'll need to cook. I'm going to use your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. M. Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad it can help.

    ReplyDelete