Sunday, August 7, 2011

Family vacation in the works...

Since the kids all came home a few weeks ago I've been planning a family vacation. Something that will make memories. Good ones of course.

Jennifer came home on July 21 from serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She was gone for 18 months and the only contacts we had were letters, emails once a week, and 45 min phone calls on Mother's Day and Christmas. Okay we sorta cheated and did a kind of a chat with emails a few times. I knew when she generally would be on the computer writing her emails so I could get on about that time and we could chat via email, but only for a few minutes. Her email time was limited.

Heather came home from school right after Jennifer. Classes ended on July 23, so Dad picked up Jen from the airport then had to turn around and pick up Heather from Idaho. On a side note I came down with a high fever the day prior to Jen coming home... Dad had to get the house ready by himself, which he was really sweet about, and I missed seeing her at the airport.

I thought things would be crazy with everyone home, but so far it hasn't been too bad. Granted we only had a few days with everyone since Jacob had scout camp the following week and Jennifer is gone to a friends wedding. The best part of having everyone home is when each child takes a different area of the house to clean. They did a great job for Grandma flying in to see Jennifer's talks in church. Jen had two meetings to speak at, her home ward where she grew up and the YSA or Young Single Adult branch that she currently attends. Grandma's visit went well.

But back to the topic... there is a little voice whispering, "family vacation." I don't know if this will be the last opportunity that we will be able to vacation together or maybe it is just the spirit guiding me to do something that will help reconnect the family to each other after these past few years of going separate ways. Whatever it is I will do it!

Now I'm not talking a weekend jaunt, I'm hearing two weeks, even three weeks if I could get away with it. Something that will push us together and force us to get along and reconnect!

(Thank you Karen for helping me with my spelling :)

While talking to my sister-in-law, who happens to LOVE the vacation places we are going, realized I needed to blog our adventures these two weeks. But as I was pondering on this today I realized I should blog the preparations that I've been working through. I don't know all the reasons why, but we don't have to understand it all to do the right thing. Writing will be a bit of a stretch and challenge, I'm not used to blogging every day which is what I will need to do to get it right. Time wipes away too many thoughts and feelings if it is not written down right away.

So this is my commitment... to write every day on our vacation and the blessing that comes from this....hmmm... I will be knowing I'm doing what the Lord wants me to do for whatever his reasons are. (I learned this commitment pattern from my returned missionary... ask for commitment then promise the blessing that will come from keeping that commitment. She has some other words for it but the idea is here... and I like it!)

And my goal (not a commitment :)... is to write a poem and share it here on the blog while on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment